Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Speaking on Second Life

Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure of being a speaker on a conference. For the first time, I was asked to speak on an event that was not organized by my employer. e-office does events every now and then; when new IBM Lotus software is released, after LotuSphere (with IBM, a LotuSphere comes to you) et cetera. I have spoken at these events, about Notes 6, 6.5, 7, 8 and other things, but always at events we organized ourselves.

But recently, the Dutch Notes user group (SNUG, www.snug.nl) contacted me. Marnix, currently the driving force behind SNUG, asked if I was willing to speak at one of their events, about Second Life. We have been experimenting with SL, and I have blogged about that, which in turn resulted in this invitation. I've heard that before from English speaking bloggers: several people started out as bloggers, and ended up as regular conference speakers because of it. I suspect this will not happen in my case, though, as the Dutch conference agenda isn't quite that large :-) Of course, I was invited (more or less) to speak on behalf of my employer, but it was nice to see this personal invitation, as a response to things I blogged about.

The session went OK, I think. The audience was at times active, asking questions, smiling or nodding in agreement and stuff like that. The feedback I received immediately after the session was positive, as well.

In a couple of weeks, I will will receive the conference evaluation data as far as it pertains to us. I can't help but wonder what it will say :-)

No comments: