Thursday, January 14, 2010

Eve Online: searching for directions in 2010


Eve Online is, famously so, a sandbox environment which leaves almost all choices up to the pilot. What career to pursue, where to live and what to do: within the bounds of the setting of New Eden, you're in charge of your own destiny. That's why CrazyKinux, the Eve Online blogfather, poses the following question:
"As we begin another year in New Eden, ask yourselves "What Now?" What will I attempt next? What haven't I done so far in EVE?"

My answer, very short: I don't know - yet. I have been a miner for a short while, but for most of my Eve career I have been a mission runner. Recently I have taken up the habit of exploring systems with scanner probes, discovering hidden npc PVE sites. I've also, occasionally, spent some time in wormholes. But what's next? I haven't decided yet.

I have been offered a spot in a wormhole mining team. But while I haven't ruled it out yet, I don't exactly see myself as a WH miner in the near future. I can also keep doing what I'm doing now: run missions, scan down complexes and such, together with corp mates or alone. Having relocated to Everyshore recently, I think that will be the short term plan, but for some reason I don't feel quite at home in Everyshore; not sure I'll stay here long term.

I would very much like to spend some time in a 0.0 corp, perhaps as a miner/ratter with some incidental PVP when necessary, but I don't really have anything in terms of PVP experience. Also, given that I have a family, a busy job and loads of other stuff going on, I really need to be in a 'real life comes first' corporation and alliance, which severely limits the options when it comes to moving to 0.0.

Finally, I'd hate to leave the alliance I'm a part of. It's not that big, but I've known these pilots for quite some time, and I wouldn't want to say goodbye at this moment.

So - short term, 2010 looks like it's going to be an extension of 2009, but I'm open for new developments. Who knows what will happen!

No comments: